January to June 2004
After the Christmas Season we began work on the main lounge. This was to be an arduous task. Whilst it didn't seem like much work it took until May to complete.
We installed a granite hearth that had to be supported by a brick and cement plinth and installed a marble fire surround. Some of the joists were repaired and some flooring was replaced. Coving was installed, the ceiling was Artexed and the whole was painted and decorated.
We unfortunately had to spend additional time repairing previous workmanship before we could decorate. The bay windows, on both levels, were found to be leaking as they had been mounted directly onto the undulating brickwork. We had rainwater ingressing around the base of the upstairs window frame and then dripping through the ceiling downstairs. The upstairs room had been decorated the previous May but the wallpaper around the bay window was now covered in mould and falling away. We found that the wallpaper had been papered over the gaps between the brickwork and the window frame and sill. The paper having come away revealed the draught! Downstairs we replaced the original timber seating unit around the bay window properly sealing the window frame before fitment and this along with mortar fillets applied to the base of all external windows has cured the issues. We also replaced some poorly fitted skirting boards.
During April ceiling cracks became apparent in the redecorated upstairs bay windowed room. It was fortunate that we discovered this in time to cover our valuable furniture prior to it collapsing; which it did. So this was repaired too.
We also redecorated and replaced the cloakroom suite on the half landing. Additionally the cupboard above was rendered and decorated and is now a useful place for storing our traveling cases.
Another good job completed was the paving of the patio outside the cottage.
The whole of June was taken up tiling the kitchen. There is very little left to do in the kitchen now; just some decorative fittings and hidden lighting.