P.R.V. - Railbuses - Images
Courtesy of Basil Hancock
ACV (Associated Commercial Vehicles) Railbuses
Whilst not known as PRV Railbuses these were bodied by PRV.
The first three-car unit, comprising cars 1,
2 & 3 was built as a
demonstrator set in 1952 and ran trials on many lines throughout the UK. It comprised a
motor car, a motor brake car and a trailer. It was painted two-tone grey with red
lining but was later purchased by British Railways and given green livery.
Five similar cars were built for BR in 1955 and three more in 1957, and all eleven spent most of their later lives on the Watford-St Albans line. They were all withdrawn by
The first three cars in BR livery can be distinguished by their half-drop windows and lower skirt panels. The eight later cars had sliding windows and no skirts.
The ACV's body drawings and chassis
The ACV's prototype railbuses
The ACV's production railbuses
Park Royal Railbuses
There were five of these, 79970-4, (Body Nos. B41054-8) built between June & November 1958. They spent their early lives on the London Midland Region and Scottish Region, but later congregated in Scotland. All were withdrawn by 1968.
The body of 79971 survived as a "Crew Room/Lamp Store" at the Edinburgh Millerhill yard. It was the last survivor, and although there was talk of it being preserved, due to it being contaminated with blue asbestos, it was destroyed by being disposed of (buried) in a landfill site.
The rare PRV official Railbus Photographs
Below is 79971 pictured by Basil Hancock on March 10th 1979 at the Millerhill yard © Basil Hancock