Birch Brothers Taxi

The text of Page 2 of the advertisement

 
The Standard Motor Co
Famous 2-1 Litre
Diesel Engine
 
List Price 255 fitted 
(Excluding Batteries)
On August 20th 1952, the first diesel-engine powered taxicab was passed for service by the Commissioners of Police of the Metropolis.  This vehicle was one owned by Birch Bros. Ltd., into which had been fitted the 2.1 litre diesel engine manufactured by the Standard Motor Co. Ltd., and as normally installed in Ferguson tractors.
 
The installation had been the subject of research and development during the previous twelve months in which the Standard Motor Co., the Freeman Sanders Engine Co., and Birch Bros., had worked in close co-operation, the engine having been modified to run at speeds up to 3,500 r.p.m. as against the tractor version speed of 2,200 r.p.m.
 
By the end of 1952, whole Birch fleet of 30 taxicabs had been converted and these vehicles have now performed nearly 1,500,000 million miles at an average fuel consumption of 32 miles per gallon.
 
By the middle of 1953 sufficient operating experience had been obtained to satisfy Birch Bros., that the engines would be very long-living and would maintain their performance. Steps were therefore taken to introduce the engines to other operators.
 
During the past twelve months more than one thousand conversions of London taxicabs to diesel, using the modified Standard engine, have been made and these vehicles are now performing in excess of there million miles per month at a fuel saving of about 1 d. per mile, the annual rate of saving being nearly 250,000.
The small high-speed diesel engine has come to stay and the Standard engine which pioneered the project will long remain the only proved engine suitable for taxicab work.
 

TECHNICAL DATA

 

Number of Cylinders 4,  Bore 3 5/16 (80.96mm.), Stroke 4 (101.6mm.).  Capacity 2,092 cc.  Compression ratio 17:1.  Cast-iron cylinder block with centrifugally cast slip fit liners; cast-iron cylinder head incorporating Freeman Sanders combustion chamber system; aluminium alloy solid skirt pistons; manganese molybdenum connecting rods with floating gudgeon pins; manganese molybdenum three-bearing crankshaft with integral balance weights; barrel type main bearing housings with lead-indium backed bearing surface; overhead valves, push-rod operated; three-bearing chain driven camshaft; C.A.V injection equipment; Purolator fuel and oil filters.

INSTALLED BY . . .  
 
BIRCH BROS
 
BIRCH BROS. (MOTORS) LIMITED
ROYAL MAIL YARD, CATHCART STREET,
KENTISH TOWN, LONDON, N.W.5
Telephone GULiver 4433